This multi-state agricultural business, striving to provide innovative solutions and superior quality and service to their customers is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the role of Agronomist. The Agronomist role in South-Central Nebraska contributes directly to the company’s success with the responsibility of managing full farm agronomy and ensuring the healthy production of potatoes.
We are looking for someone with a strong work ethic, focused on growing great vegetables and developing the operations profitably. This person need to be energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
- Soil sampling and fertilizer recommendations
- Development and execution of pest management strategies
- Monitor soil moisture and schedule irrigation
- Scout fields on a weekly basis and recommend necessary adjustments to management plans
- Provide quality control and oversight on
- Seed handling and cutting
- Planter spacing accuracy
- Irrigation system application uniformity
- Chemical application
- Plant tissue and soil sampling during the growing season for fertility management
- Test digs to estimate yields and monitor quality
- Monitoring of bruise-free handling during harvest and storage
- Scouts fields for diseased plants and directs rouging crews if necessary
- Plant Maturity evaluations, including sugar testing in the field and in storage
- Develop and conduct R&D experiments to provide insight on key production issues, including:
- PVY and other disease control
- Physiological age and implications for seed
- Psyllid, zebra chip, and other disease control
- New variety evaluation
- Variety specific agronomy
- Use of VRT to optimize cost per cwt and quality
- Maximize water-use and fertilizer-use efficiency
- And other duties assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy or closely related field.
- A private applicators license or the ability to get one.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to pass vehicle insurance verification.
- A relevant Master’s degree or the equivalent in experience.
- 1+ years’ experience in a similar agricultural role is preferred.
- Proficiency with Windows programs, and statistical analysis software.
- The ability to lead and manage people.
- Superior organizational and project management skills.
- Familiarity with irrigated crop production preferred
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
For more details on this position, please contact Brad – firstname.lastname@example.org.